Roger Liu is an experienced construction attorney, representing clients in both transactional and litigation matters. Regularly advising clients out of the firm’s San Jose and Newport Beach offices, he handles all phases of private and public works of improvement, routinely counseling owners and contractors on a vast spectrum of issues including contract review and negotiations, public contracting, bidding and requests for proposals, bid protests and project documentation.
A seasoned litigator, Roger also represents owners, developers, builders and contractors in a wide variety of construction disputes. His experience includes payment disputes; contract and administrative claims, including scope of work changes, impact and delay assessments; mechanic's lien, stop payment notices and bond claims; construction defect and design errors and omissions claims; and insurance coverage matters. As a former prosecutor, he utilizes his significant trial background to aggressively and efficiently advocate for his clients with a results-oriented focus.
Roger has been recognized by Northern California SuperLawyers as a Rising Star for his construction litigation practice.
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Legal Advisory Committee, Associated General Contractors of California
- Represented general contractors on public works of improvement in payment disputes against the owner on claims for extra work, impacts and delays, and defended against claims brought by subcontractors, lower-tier subcontractors and suppliers.
- Represented contractors on private works of improvement in payment disputes and enforcement of mechanic’s lien rights and remedies.
- Represented contractors in payment disputes involving subdivision projects governed by California’s Subdivision Map Act.
- Represented a developer of commercial and residential properties in connection with construction defects against the builder and subcontractors.
- Represented a public entity against project architects and engineers relating to claims arising from design errors and omissions.
- Represented a general contractor against regulatory actions brought by the State of California in connection with alleged violations of state and federal asbestos emission standards.
- Represented and counseled contractors and owners in complex contractual negotiations.