February 2018 by Peter Dessau
Lawyer Ethics: What Clients Need and Want in Construction Arbitration Construction arbitration is fundamentally different from litigation because it is a choice-based process supervised by expert decision makers in a private setting. read more.
Effective January 1, 2018, general contractors on all private projects in California can be held directly liable for: (1) wage and hour claims, and (2) union trust fund claims brought by the employees and labor unions of their subcontractors, of all tiers. Further, while the new law authorizes general contractors to demand payroll records from their subcontractors (and to withhold payment if the subcontractors fail to comply with the requests), there is no safe-harbor for general contractors if the subcontractor refuses to provide the payroll records or if the payroll records provided are inaccurate. read more.
The 2017 legislative session has come to an end and Governor Brown has signed into law a number of significant labor and employment related bills that will soon impact California’s workplaces. Three key laws will be taking effect on January 1, 2018. read more.
Miller Morton a Proud Sponsor of the Housing Industry Foundation's 2017 Fundraising Campaign "Kicking Out Homelessness Kickball Tournament"
April 2017 by Miller Morton
San Mateo, CA (April 10, 2017) – Housing Industry Foundation (HIF) Executive Director Robert Freiri announced today that HIF is hosting its inaugural fundraising event, Kicking Out Homelessness Kickball Tournament, to help individuals and families remain in or return to stable housing in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. read more.
February 2017 by Miller Morton
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Jan. 12, 2017 – Miller, Morton, Caillat & Nevis, LLP announces that litigation attorneys Rosanna Moreno and Jeffrey Lisenbee have been elevated to partners. Previously associates at the firm, Rosanna Moreno and Jeffrey Lisenbee work out of the firm’s Southern California office. “We are happy to announce that Rosanna and Jeff have been elevated to partners, and we’re confident that they are going to be excellent assets to the firm.” said Miller Morton Managing Partner David Kornbluh. read more.
- 2018 American Arbitration Association Construction Conference
- New CA Law Imposes Direct Liability on Contractors For Wage Claims By Subcontractor's Employees
- Labor and Employment Bills AB 168, 450, and 1008: What Employers Need to Know
- Miller Morton a Proud Sponsor of the Housing Industry Foundation's 2017 Fundraising Campaign "Kicking Out Homelessness Kickball Tournament"
- Miller Morton Elects Rosanna Moreno and Jeffrey Lisenbee to Partnership
- Why California Teachers Will Celebrate Senate Bill 1413
- Update to California's Prevailing Wage Laws: AB219 Fixes the Loophole for Ready-Mixed Concrete Drivers
- Miller Morton Associate Rosanna Moreno Receives Wiley W. Manuel Certificate for Pro Bono Services
- California Pay History Bill Would Hike Wage Discrimination Risk
- Trial Pros: Miller Morton's David Kornbluh