SAN JOSE, Calif. – Apr. 24, 2014 – Miller, Morton, Caillat & Nevis, LLP announces that construction partner Peter V. Dessau has been appointed to the Board of Directors of the Housing Industry Foundation (HIF). Dessau will serve a three-year term beginning immediately.
HIF’s mission is to assist individuals and families in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties in remaining in or returning to stable housing, while supporting efforts to identify long-term solutions to the lack of affordable housing in these communities. Through collaboration with emergency service organizations, the organization funds emergency housing grants that provide an immediate bridge to keep individuals and families in their homes. HIF also completes renovations to non-profit housing facilities and transitional living facilities.
“Adequate shelter is such a basic need, and one that can often be taken for granted. It’s incredibly fulfilling for me to be able to provide my expertise in support of the great work that HIF is doing in the communities that so many of our attorneys and clients work and live,” said Dessau.
HIF’s Board of Directors is responsible for providing all operational funding so that 100 percent of fundraising contributions go directly to the organization’s programs. The Board further extends the organization’s community reach by gaining the support of industry leaders who can leverage their resources, funding and skills to complete renovation projects.
With 26 years of experience in construction law, Dessau’s practice focuses on litigation involving construction defects and other issues. Regularly advising clients out of both the firm’s San Jose and Newport Beach offices, he represents developers, builders and contractors in payment disputes and defends and prosecutes delay and impact claims against private owners, contractors and public entities. Dessau’s experience also includes providing counsel to members of the industry on risk management techniques to avoid litigation.
In addition to his involvement with HIF, Dessau is a member of the State Bar of California, Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) and the Tri-County Apartment Association. A frequent author and speaker on various construction law topics, he has served as a guest lecturer at his alma mater (1988), Santa Clara University School of Law. In addition to his J.D., Dessau earned his B.A. from Santa Clara University (1984).
- 2018 American Arbitration Association Construction Conference
- New CA Law Imposes Direct Liability on Contractors For Wage Claims By Subcontractor's Employees
- Labor and Employment Bills AB 168, 450, and 1008: What Employers Need to Know
- Miller Morton a Proud Sponsor of the Housing Industry Foundation's 2017 Fundraising Campaign "Kicking Out Homelessness Kickball Tournament"
- Miller Morton Elects Rosanna Moreno and Jeffrey Lisenbee to Partnership
- Why California Teachers Will Celebrate Senate Bill 1413
- Update to California's Prevailing Wage Laws: AB219 Fixes the Loophole for Ready-Mixed Concrete Drivers
- Miller Morton Associate Rosanna Moreno Receives Wiley W. Manuel Certificate for Pro Bono Services
- California Pay History Bill Would Hike Wage Discrimination Risk
- Trial Pros: Miller Morton's David Kornbluh