News from the Housing Industry Foundation in association with Housing Leadership Council of San Mateo County:
San Mateo, CA (April 10, 2017) – Housing Industry Foundation (HIF) Executive Director Robert Freiri announced today that HIF is hosting its inaugural fundraising event, Kicking Out Homelessness Kickball Tournament, to help individuals and families remain in or return to stable housing in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties.
Ten local companies will join HIF on the kickball field for an afternoon of play and teamwork, all while raising money to help prevent homelessness in our communities.
HIF’s goal is to raise $30,000 through the kickball tournament. Funds raised will go towards HIF’s Emergency Housing Fund, which distributes grants to individuals and families threatened with homelessness or currently facing homelessness in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties.
The tournament will take place at Twin Creeks Sports Complex in Sunnyvale from 12 PM – 5 PM on May 5th, 2017, the first day of Housing Leadership Council of San Mateo County’s Affordable Housing Week.
“This is an important event to bring the apartment industry community in San Mateo and Santa Clara together and remind all stakeholders of the importance of our mission and of course, have fun and raise funds to support the programs we sponsor and ultimately support individuals and particularly families in need. We provide a bridge that wouldn’t exist without our generous sponsors and donors,” said Executive Director Robert Freiri.
Event Sponsors Include:
- AvalonBay Communities
- Irvine Company Apartment Communities
- Cambridge Management Company
- Equity Residential
- Miller, Morton, Caillat & Nevis LLP
- Prodesse Property Group
- Woodmont Real Estate Services
Other participating sponsors are IQV Construction (lunch) and American Asphalt (drinks). Windy Hill Property Ventures, Presidio Bank and AquaTek Plumbing will also bring teams to the tournament.
About HIF: HIF’s mission is to help individuals and families remain in or return to stable housing and to assist with special housing projects or renovations in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. In addition, HIF supports efforts to identify long-term solutions to the lack of affordable housing in our community. HIF carries out its mission through two programs, the Emergency Housing Fund (EHF) and the Renovation Program.
Through collaboration with a network of partner agencies, HIF funds one-time emergency housing grants of up to $2,500 that are designed to serve as a bridge between crisis and stability for low-income households threatened with homelessness. Grants may be used towards rent, security deposit, or utilities, and recipients must demonstrate their ability to meet future expenses. An unstable housing situation can arise from various unexpected circumstances, such as temporary unemployment, medical emergency, or unforeseen living expenses. These conditions are temporary if solved, but costly if not. For many people facing an unexpected financial crisis, an HIF emergency grant can be the difference between remaining housed and becoming homeless. Learn more at www.hifinfo.org.
Wikipedia (in case you forgot): Kickball is a game and league game, similar to baseball, invented in the United States. As in baseball, one team tries to score by having its players return a ball from home base to the field and then circle the bases; while the other team tries to stop them by tagging them "out" with the ball before they can return to the home base. Instead of hitting a small, hard ball with a bat, players kick an inflated rubber ball; this makes it more accessible to young children. As in baseball, teams alternate half-innings. The team with the most runs after a predefined number of innings wins.
- Recent Changes to the Americans with Disabilities Act: Congress Takes Aim at Litigation Reform
- Recharacterizing State Tax Payments as Charitable Contributions
- Assembly Bill 1278 Prevents "Dead Beat" Contractors from Starting New Companies
- New California Law Affords Brokers Greater Flexibility in Managing Client Trust Accounts
- 2018 American Arbitration Association Construction Conference
- New Tax Law Expands Use of 529 Plans for Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Choosing Between an S-Corp and LLC?
- New CA Law Imposes Direct Liability on Contractors For Wage Claims By Subcontractor's Employees
- Labor and Employment Bills AB 168, 450, and 1008: What Employers Need to Know
- Miller Morton a Proud Sponsor of the Housing Industry Foundation's 2017 Fundraising Campaign "Kicking Out Homelessness Kickball Tournament"