Partner Peter Dessau’s more than 26 year practice focuses on construction law, with an emphasis on litigation involving construction claims, defects and other related issues. Regularly advising clients out of both the firm’s San Jose and Newport Beach offices, he represents developers, builders, design professionals and contractors in payment disputes, and defends and prosecutes delay and impact claims against private owners, contractors and public entities.
A trusted advocate to his clients, Peter also regularly provides counsel to members of the construction industry on risk management techniques to avoid litigation. He is a frequent writer and speaker on construction law topics, including serving as a guest lecturer for construction law classes at Santa Clara University School of Law and San Jose State University (Extension). Peter is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s Panel of Construction Arbitrators. View complete bio.
February 2018 by Peter Dessau
Lawyer Ethics: What Clients Need and Want in Construction Arbitration Construction arbitration is fundamentally different from litigation because it is a choice-based process supervised by expert decision makers in a private setting. read more.
May 2015 by Peter Dessau
In an article published in Law360 by Andrew McIntyre, Partner Peter Dessau asked to comment on the obstacles faced by foreign investors in U.S. real estate. read more.
Peter and Eric contributed their expertise on the due diligence process potential apartment buyers should undertake before making a purchase. read more.
Partners Peter Dessau and Eric McAllister Write for Multifamily Executive on Due Diligence in Apartment Acquisitions
Peter and Eric’s article on the due diligence process potential apartment buyers should undertake before making a purchase was published in the January 2015 issue of Multifamily Executive, read more.
Miller Morton Partner Peter Dessau Joins Exclusive Group of Arbitrators and Mediators for the American Arbitration Association
May 2014 by Peter Dessau
SAN JOSE, Calif. – May 13, 2014 – Peter V. Dessau, a construction partner at Miller, Morton, Caillat & Nevis, LLP, has been appointed to the American Arbitration Association’s (AAA) Panel of Construction Arbitrators. read more.
Miller Morton Construction Partner Peter Dessau Elected to Housing Industry Foundation Board of Directors
April 2014 by Peter Dessau
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Apr. 24, 2014 – Miller, Morton, Caillat & Nevis, LLP announces that construction partner Peter V. Dessau has been appointed to the Board of Directors of the read more.
- Recent Changes to the Americans with Disabilities Act: Congress Takes Aim at Litigation Reform
- Recharacterizing State Tax Payments as Charitable Contributions
- Assembly Bill 1278 Prevents "Dead Beat" Contractors from Starting New Companies
- New California Law Affords Brokers Greater Flexibility in Managing Client Trust Accounts
- 2018 American Arbitration Association Construction Conference
- New Tax Law Expands Use of 529 Plans for Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Choosing Between an S-Corp and LLC?
- New CA Law Imposes Direct Liability on Contractors For Wage Claims By Subcontractor's Employees
- Labor and Employment Bills AB 168, 450, and 1008: What Employers Need to Know
- Miller Morton a Proud Sponsor of the Housing Industry Foundation's 2017 Fundraising Campaign "Kicking Out Homelessness Kickball Tournament"