Partner Daniel Nevis maintains a diverse transactional practice representing developers, land owners, general contractors, small businesses and families in all phases of acquisition, entitlement, development, construction and land use issues, as well as commercial and residential leasing, business entity formation and corporate management. Read full bio.
Congress takes aim at litigation reform. On February 15, 2018, the House of Representatives, in a largely partisan vote, passed the ADA Education and Reform Act (H.R. 620), intended to curb vexatious and predatory litigation practices against property owners and small businesses over technical violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”). read more.
California's proposed response to the reduced "SALT" federal income tax deduction. read more.
Assembly Bill 1278 prevents "dead beat" contractors from staring new companies but may pose unintended consequences for former personnel. read more.
Effective January 1, 2018, brokers that desire to grant their agents or employees access to trust accounts will now be permitted to obtain insurance coverage in lieu of a fidelity bond. read more.
January 2018 by Daniel Nevis
With recently passed "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" of 2017, 529 savings plans now cover elementary and secondary school tuition, and school-related expenses. Each beneficiary under a 529 plan would be allowed to receive up to $10,000 per year in tax-free distributions to cover such expenses. read more.
January 2018 by Daniel Nevis
An S-Corp and an LLC both offer liability protection, the opportunity to be taxed as a partnership, and are fairly friendly when it comes to adding new partners or growing your business. An S-Corp is subject to the same tax rules as a C-Corp when it comes to the transfer of property which may pose potentially dramatic financial consequences. read more.
June 2015 by Daniel Nevis, Carrie MacIntosh
Partner Daniel Nevis and Associate Carrie MacIntosh give overview of the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) in the June issue of Western Real Estate Business. read more.
- Recent Changes to the Americans with Disabilities Act: Congress Takes Aim at Litigation Reform
- Recharacterizing State Tax Payments as Charitable Contributions
- Assembly Bill 1278 Prevents "Dead Beat" Contractors from Starting New Companies
- New California Law Affords Brokers Greater Flexibility in Managing Client Trust Accounts
- 2018 American Arbitration Association Construction Conference
- New Tax Law Expands Use of 529 Plans for Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Choosing Between an S-Corp and LLC?
- New CA Law Imposes Direct Liability on Contractors For Wage Claims By Subcontractor's Employees
- Labor and Employment Bills AB 168, 450, and 1008: What Employers Need to Know
- Miller Morton a Proud Sponsor of the Housing Industry Foundation's 2017 Fundraising Campaign "Kicking Out Homelessness Kickball Tournament"